Connect with us

News

Landlord in UK jailed for ‘sex for rent’ offences

Published

on

advert banner

Landlord in UK jailed for

A landlord who made a homeless woman sleep with him in return for a room is now the first person in England and Wales to be jailed for ‘sex for rent’ offences.

Christopher Cox, 53, targeted vulnerable young women’ to live with him at his home in Cranleigh, Surrey, in 2018.

He reportedly told women to wear bikinis around the house and take part in BDSM, and also sleep in his bed all in exchange for house rent.

His went to a rent agency website online and put up an advert aimed at ‘a girl in need’ and asked ‘if you are a young girl 16-plus who is stuck at home and wants to get away or maybe you are homeless seeking a safe route out, I have a room available in my home for a young girl’.

In the advert he said in return for a place to stay, they were expected to ‘cook, clean, do laundry and possibly more’.

Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday, May 10 heard one of his victims was a homeless woman, who was ‘unwell, desperate, suicidal, needed hip replacement surgery and was in pain.’

 

In a message to his friends, the prosecutor said Cox described his behaviour as his ‘dirty secret’.

Cops got to know about his behavior after two female undercover reporters from ITV’s The Kyle Files responded to online ads for ‘a girl in need’ in August 2018.

Even after he was confronted by TV cameras, he continued sending out his adverts.

At the time, Cox allegedly told friends: ‘I got myself into a bit of hot water due to my sex-for-rent tenants.’

 Surrey Police searched his phone and found evidence of a homeless woman agreeing to an arrangement out of ‘desperation’.

Rupert Hallowes, defending, said his client, who was previously convicted of sexually abusing a young boy in the 1980s, thought his actions were ‘only illegal if he wanted sex three times a week’.

Judge Robert Fraser told Cox his behaviour was a ‘cynical attempt to take advantage of people by ‘very deliberately targeting homeless women who were vulnerable’.

The judge said the crime has now become ‘colloquially known as sex-for-rent’ and ‘this is the first such prosecution that has been brought’.

 

‘It is remarkable and says something about your determination to continue that you posted further advertisements,’ the judge told Cox.

‘It perhaps says something about the strength of your sexual intention.’

Cox, has been sentenced to one year in prison after he admitted to inciting and controlling prostitution.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India’

Published

on

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

A mother and her six-year-old daughter were gang-raped by a group of men who offered them a lift home in northern India. 

Police said the men had promised the woman and her daughter they would drive them safely back from Piran Kaliyar, a holy site for Muslims and Hindus, on the banks of the Ganga Canal, Roorkee, Uttarakhand province.

The alleged driver, who has been identified only as Sonu, already had passengers in the car when he agreed to drive the woman and her child, Police superintendent Pramendra Doval said.

 

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

Local media reported the mother said she had no idea how many men were in the vehicle.

The men allegedly attacked and raped the woman and her daughter in the moving car before they dumped the victims near a canal.

In spite of the ordeal, the mother managed to reach a police station, where she reported the crime. 

The pair were taken to Roorkee Civil Hospital, where medics confirmed the woman and the little girl had been sexually assaulted.

 

Police confirmed investigations are ongoing..

Continue Reading

News

Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

Published

on

Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

 Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

A lady has lost her life after her jealous friends poisoned her to death.

 

According to Twitter user @EmpressAdusei, the deceased who was her niece, just gained a scholarship to study in France before she met her untimely death.

”My niece was poisoned by her friends because she had a scholarship to go to France I can’t even breath right now I’m actually finished… she’s Gone”

 

 Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

Continue Reading

News

We shall not fail Nigerians – Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

Published

on

We shall not fail Nigerians - Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

 We shall not fail Nigerians - Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), has promised not to fail Nigerians after taking over from Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, the former CJN who resigned on Sunday evening on health grounds. 

 

Addressing State House Correspondents after taking the oath of office, Ariwoola said with the support of his colleagues, the judiciary under him shall not fail Nigerians.

 

He said; 

 

“What Nigerians expect from me is to comply, preserve and abide and protect the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. And so be it. That is what I will do especially with the cooperation of my brother Justices of the Supreme Court. We shall not fail Nigerians.” 

 

On the current controversy at the supreme court, Ariwoola said; 

 

“There is no controversy in the Supreme Court. We are one with the Chief Justice. That’s why you heard the President said His Lordship, is disengaging on the grounds of ill-health. No controversy we’re one.”

 

On the welfare issues highlighted in the letter addressed to the former CJN, he said; 

 

“It was an internal memo of the court. It was not a petition. It was not a letter. It was addressed by the brother Justices of the Chief Justice and presented to him, His Lordship directly. There were issues to be resolved amongst justices.”

 

When asked if those issues would be resolved under his leadership, he said: “Yeah, we’ve started resolving it.”

Continue Reading

Trending