Connect with us

News

Ukraine to begin first trial of Russian soldier accused of rape

Published

on

Ukraine to begin first trial of Russian soldier accused of rape

Ukraine to begin first trial of Russian soldier accused of rape

Ukraine will on Thursday, June 23 hold a preliminary hearing in its first trial of a Russian soldier charged with raping a Ukrainian woman during Russia’s invasion.

 

The human rights abuse trial is the first of what could be dozens of such cases.

 

The suspect, Mikhail Romanov, 32, who is not in Ukrainian custody and will be tried in absentia, is accused of murdering a civilian in the Kyiv capital region on March 9 and then repeatedly raping the man’s wife, according to court files in Ukraine.

 

Romanov is accused of raping a 33-year-old woman after he and another Russian soldier shot her husband Oleksiy at point blank in the village of Bohdanivka to the northeast of Kyiv.

 

The two soldiers then left and later returned twice more to rape her, the court files said. The identity of the second soldier had not been established.

Moscow has denied allegations of war crimes.

It was not immediately clear what kind of legal representation Romanov would have at the trial, which will be held behind closed doors.

 

Ukranian officials, activists and doctors have said that many survivors are afraid or unwilling to come forward to the police and prosecutors with their cases, for fear of reprisals from Russia and stigma from their Ukrainian neighbours.

A spokesperson for the Prosecutor General’s office said that a prosecutor might comment about the trial publicly after Thursday’s hearing.

 

 

 

?????

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India’

Published

on

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

A mother and her six-year-old daughter were gang-raped by a group of men who offered them a lift home in northern India. 

Police said the men had promised the woman and her daughter they would drive them safely back from Piran Kaliyar, a holy site for Muslims and Hindus, on the banks of the Ganga Canal, Roorkee, Uttarakhand province.

The alleged driver, who has been identified only as Sonu, already had passengers in the car when he agreed to drive the woman and her child, Police superintendent Pramendra Doval said.

 

Mother and her six-year-old daughter gang-raped in moving car after accepting lift from group of men in India?

Local media reported the mother said she had no idea how many men were in the vehicle.

The men allegedly attacked and raped the woman and her daughter in the moving car before they dumped the victims near a canal.

In spite of the ordeal, the mother managed to reach a police station, where she reported the crime. 

The pair were taken to Roorkee Civil Hospital, where medics confirmed the woman and the little girl had been sexually assaulted.

 

Police confirmed investigations are ongoing..

Continue Reading

News

Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

Published

on

Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

 Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

A lady has lost her life after her jealous friends poisoned her to death.

 

According to Twitter user @EmpressAdusei, the deceased who was her niece, just gained a scholarship to study in France before she met her untimely death.

”My niece was poisoned by her friends because she had a scholarship to go to France I can’t even breath right now I’m actually finished… she’s Gone”

 

 Lady allegedly poisoned by her friends after she gained scholarship to study in France

Continue Reading

News

We shall not fail Nigerians – Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

Published

on

We shall not fail Nigerians - Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

 We shall not fail Nigerians - Acting CJN Olukayode Ariwoola speaks

Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), has promised not to fail Nigerians after taking over from Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, the former CJN who resigned on Sunday evening on health grounds. 

 

Addressing State House Correspondents after taking the oath of office, Ariwoola said with the support of his colleagues, the judiciary under him shall not fail Nigerians.

 

He said; 

 

“What Nigerians expect from me is to comply, preserve and abide and protect the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. And so be it. That is what I will do especially with the cooperation of my brother Justices of the Supreme Court. We shall not fail Nigerians.” 

 

On the current controversy at the supreme court, Ariwoola said; 

 

“There is no controversy in the Supreme Court. We are one with the Chief Justice. That’s why you heard the President said His Lordship, is disengaging on the grounds of ill-health. No controversy we’re one.”

 

On the welfare issues highlighted in the letter addressed to the former CJN, he said; 

 

“It was an internal memo of the court. It was not a petition. It was not a letter. It was addressed by the brother Justices of the Chief Justice and presented to him, His Lordship directly. There were issues to be resolved amongst justices.”

 

When asked if those issues would be resolved under his leadership, he said: “Yeah, we’ve started resolving it.”

Continue Reading

Trending